Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Inspiration Has Struck


          Today I had a little moment of clarity. In my past posts, I have been struggling to find out what exactly my story would be about. However, today in my english class I was inspired. For about a week now, we have been reading a book called, "Kindred" by Octavia Butler. So far, the book is about the main character (Dana) having the ability to travel through time. We specifically read a part in the book where Dana is explaining where she comes from to her great grandfather who is twelve. She time travels to the year 1815 whenever her great grandfather (Rufus) is in trouble.

          Anyway, as she's explaining that people of color can marry whites and that slaves are free, he says that she's crazy and that it's 1815 everywhere. I immediately was interested on how Dana began to explain future presidents and when states became part of the United States. So, then an idea sparked in me! What if the story I was looking for was about time travel? But instead of the 1800s, maybe the 1960s? Or any era really.. I'd have to discuss that with my group.

         To really deepen my understanding on the topic of time travel, I thought it'd be appropriate to do some research. According to this article, time travel has been a popular topic in science fiction. Apparently, it's possible but it's beyond our current technical abilities. The same article discusses the concept of time and how it works. For example, the text states how time works and how scientists like Albert Einstein claimed that time was just an illusion.

         However, Gaby, Isabel, and I decided that in order to film time travel effects, we would need advanced technology. So, we went back to where we started.. with the topic of mystery. We began to brainstorm some way that we could interest our audience. We thought of parties, crime, low lighting, and other techniques that could spark anticipation. Finally, I came up with the concept of someone being chased, in camera angles like bird's eye and mid shots. I also thought that combining a hand held movement would let the audience feel as if they were being chased too.

       So, we thought... okay, so one of our friends is being chased.. but by who and why? That's when Isa brought up an office located in my house. It's small, and full of computers, since my father is a computer engineer. She thought that we could use my parents' office as an HQ for our main character's "chaser." Gaby then mentioned that we could use all the computers to have our main character's social media open along with several photos him being printed on the walls. I mentioned contacting a friend of ours named Carlos Leon to play our main character.

     To organize our ideas, we took some storyboard templates that our teacher provided us with, to plan out every single shot that we had in mind along with a small description. Then we thought, when should we shoot this and where? Eventually, we all decided to go to Ft. Lauderdale in the afternoon, this Saturday to begin our filming process along with our friend. I hope things go as planned!



citations:

  • Contributor, Elizabeth Howell Space.com. "Time Travel: Theories, Paradoxes & Possibilities."Space.com. N.p., 21 June 2013. Web. 15 Mar. 2017.



     

No comments:

Post a Comment