Thursday, March 23, 2017

The Outcome of Improvising




       Last Tuesday, before I went to SAT class, Gaby, Isa, and I, thought we should get a head start on film time. From my last post you saw the process involved on things we planned, like the candid photos of Carlos, computers, low lighting, and office supplies. For example, consider the shots below.













As shown above, there are shots that we had talked about and planned in class. For example, the handheld movement and pan movement of Carlos's social media, and another handheld + pan movement of the physical prints of the photos. But, what I wanted to address in this post exactly was the sudden sparks of creativity. When we had finished the planned footage, we wanted to see if we could add more shots that could relate to the story. So I thought, "Why don't we check in my garage and see if we find any creepy things!" We looked around, and Gaby found some of my mom's gardening tools (a garden peak and a pair of gloves). Isa, also spotted my dad's little "workshop" where he builds and fixes things. He had hammers, screwdrivers, scissors, nails, and screws which we thought could be used as some sort of weapon. Gaby then pointed out that my dad had a small lamp. So she suggested we should turn off, the garage's main light, and leave the small one on. As soon as we turned off the main garage light, and left the workshop one on, we were intrigued by how scary is really looked. I then remembered how lighting played a role in establishing moods and theme in film making like I mentioned in one of my older posts.  


Here's a photo to give you a better idea on what I mean on the lighting we had just created. 




   In the photo attached, you can see how our only light source is coming from my Dad's workshop. This focuses the viewer's attention on strictly all of his tools. We also, moved all of the photos of Carlos to show that we were still "stalking" him. We thought including this footage could give a stronger approach to our story. 

    Another unplanned shot we ended up really liking was this extreme close-up of Isa's hand writing notes about Carlos on the sticky note. We thought that the depth of field and the close-up itself gave a new perspective on what Carlos's stalker was writing about. At first, I told Gaby she could write her the notes but Gaby's handwriting was too feminine and I thought it wouldn't look good paired with the mood we were going for. So, I remembered how my Dad's handwriting looked like, so I pulled out an old notebook of his and showed Gaby and Isa what I had in mind. Isa immediately said she could try and write like him so we decided to use Isa instead of Gaby to write messages on the note pad.  



Here is a photo of my Dad's handwriting.




Here is the final product of the shot we improvised. 




This weekend, we planned to shoot the few shots we had left with Carlos, I hope we will be able to!








No comments:

Post a Comment